Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Sabbath Day

From the top of Mt. Sinai thundered the commandment, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" (Exodus 20:8). Though the record is scant undoubtedly God's people have kept the Sabbath day holy since Adam and Eve's time. In fact the Sabbath is intended to be a perpetual covenant between God and His people throughout their generations, a sign between them that He is their God and they are His people (Exodus 31:12-13, 16-17).

On the Sabbath day we rest from our temporal labors and turn our attention more fully to the work of God. This will no doubt please my dad: the Sabbath has become a delight to me. I have grown a lot since the time when I thought that all we could do on Sunday was "sit on our butts and pray." Admittedly, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that such was my idea of Sunday activity.

The Sunday worship meetings that my wife, Deb, and I attend last for three hours. We each attend a meeting with either the men's or women's organization to which we belong. Additionally, we have Sunday school for further instruction in the holy scriptures. Finally, we attend a sacrament meeting wherein we commemorate the Lord's institution of the sacrament of bread and wine, now water.

While the whole of the Sabbath day is truly rest for the soul, the sacrament particularly has specific significance and importance. We eat of the bread and drink of the water in remembrance of the body and blood of Christ who gave His life to redeem the world from sin and death. Additionally, partaking of the sacrament is a renewal of our baptismal covenants to take upon us the Name of Christ and to keep His commandments.

For the balance of the Sabbath day Deb and I will generally relax a little, study the scriptures, visit with friends from our ward (congregation), and talk with our family members on the phone. Now that I better understand the meaning and purpose of the Sabbath, I have come to look forward to it each week.

1 comment:

jewishfranciscan said...

Dear Nate,

I hope this posting finds you in peace and well-being.

I appreciate your piece on the Sabbath and on Samoa, as I am a participant in both. (I have close ties with members of the Malietoa family.)

I too celebrate the Sacrament that Jesus Christ gave us during the Passover at The Last Supper;
The Bread of Life, The Manna from Heaven.

I participate in the Holy Eucharist of the Apostolic Tradition also referred to as Catholicism. I am a Jewish man of the New Covenant.

Shalom in Yeshua Ha'Massiach (Jesus The Messiah)
Christopher