Sunday, April 27, 2008

One Year Anniversary

This is a tribute to my wife of one year. Deb and I were married on 28 April 2007, in the Boise, Idaho temple. Apparently we picked the right year to get married on April 28th: one of my aunts wrote saying that Boise hasn’t yet thawed out this year so we couldn’t have had a nice outdoor reception as we did.

The past year has been tremendous. Deb and I have grown closer each day. I’ve heard many times from other young couples that the first year of marriage is the most difficult to get through. I haven’t had a second year with Deb to compare to the first, but I don’t feel that it has been very difficult at all. We are, as Deb’s mom once said, two peas in a pod.

Soon after our wedding day, Deb and I were plunged back into classes at Brigham Young University. But that didn’t prevent us from spending time with each other. We hiked to the tops of mountains, spent time with family and friends, went to friends’ weddings, and worked overtime trying to get one of our best friends to marry Deb’s older sister, which actually happened!

The best part is I get to repeat this yearly ritual of celebrating anniversaries with Deb ad infinitum—forever. The promise of a temple wedding is that our marriage will endure for eternity if we keep God’s commandments. There is no ‘till death do us part’ in a temple wedding.

Jesus Christ said, “Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Matthew 19:4-5) And Paul said, “…Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 11:11)

I love my wife with all my heart. I couldn’t imagine spending decades of happiness together only to experience divorcement upon dying. I had a rough enough time being separated from her for a few days when she went to hike Mount Ranier last August.

To Deb I dedicate this poem written by my great-grandfather Edwin:

When I go to bed at night,
I reach out my window
And pick a Twinkling Star
And crush it in my hand
And sprinkle it on my closed eyelids,
And what do you think?
I dream of you.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hooray for anniversaries! Happy anniversary, you two! Thanks for working so hard to get me to marry Rachel. It sounds like our first year is going about as well as yours did!

Steve said...

Hooray for anniversaries! Happy anniversary, you two! Thanks for working so hard to get me to marry Rachel. It sounds like our first year is going about as well as yours did!