Thursday, May 29, 2008

Empirical Thesis, Anecdotal Humor

Today, I made my formal thesis proposal to the department. Really, if my committee let me get this far, then they like the idea and are going to approve it, which they did with only a few suggested modifications.

Now we need to figure out all the logistics of bringing in over a hundred teenagers to test their cardiorespiratory fitness levels.

On a very different note, my sister related to me a funny story about her 2- almost 3-year-old daughter, my niece. My sister has been teaching my niece to recite the Articles of Faith, which are 13 succinct and canonized statements of beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My sister writes, "She knows #1 by heart and is learning #2 now. It's cool and very cute to hear her recite it."

Now to prep you for the punchline, here is the text for the first Article of Faith: "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."

Then my sister continues, "She had a little trouble understanding the difference between a Ghost (as in the Holy Ghost) and a goat. One time she said '...and in the Holy Goat...baa...baa.' That's when I realized she needed a little chat about the difference between a spirit and a goat. It was pretty funny."

Out of the mouth of babes, indeed!

2 comments:

Dan Cummings said...

Congrats on getting the thesis approved! Good neice story.

Aunt Janice said...

When Eli was little, he used to call the ghost on the Amazing Labyrinth game board the "Holy Ghost" . . . I guess that was the ghost he heard about most often! He was also the one who once asked me, "Now, which ones of my cousins are demons?" . . . meaning, I am embarrassed to say, not "demons" but "Mormons" . . . .