Saturday, September 27, 2008

Junk Mail

Are you tired of all the junk mail you get? Here's a tip I found while reading a post from No Impact Man, a New Yorker who is doing his best to reduce (and eliminate, if possible) his negative impact on the environment.

On his post Stopping the junk mail tree killers--repost I found the following comment from one of his readers:

[The junk mail] seems to be going down even more since I started following a tip a friend gave me -when someone sends me an offer I don't want, I take all their literature, including the original envelope, put it all into the postage paid envelope they include, and send it all back to them. Invariably, I never hear from them again!

Another readers adds: "If it's a credit card offer, make sure it is VERY clear that you are not accepting the offer!"

Deb I make it clear we are not accepting the offer by writing VOID all over the papers, thus eliminating the possibility that anyone could use the forms in our name and the possibility that the credit card company would issue us a new, unwanted credit card.

Yesterday while we stuffed a postage paid return envelope with all the literature the credit card company sent us, and with a little note asking to be taken off their mailing list, we admitted to each other that we had a strange feeling of satisfaction returning the company's garbage to them for disposal.

So here's to stickin' it to the men and women who care for nothing but increasing the thickness of their own pocket books by grinding up "100 million trees...each year to produce junk mail." As for me, I'd prefer the trees. As we discovered during our trip to the Oregon coast, trees are much prettier as trees in their natural environment than as junk mail in our mailbox, in our apartment, or in the landfills.

1 comment:

Josh Keanaaina said...

I hate junk mail. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly those people can find me.

Every time we move we stay junk mail free for up to a year especially if we don't use our address to sign up for anything.

So, if you're tired of receiving junk mail, you could always just move every time they get you on a list. That doesn't stop the junk mail from coming to your previous address, but at least you don't have to sift through it.

Assuming that the people who live in your previous residence will return the mail to the sender, you can take the lazy way out.

Then again it's infinitely more responsible to do everything you can to get off the lists and actively fight off junk mail. I will try harder.

It's just another thing to detract us from more important things. Though, I'm not saying fighting junk mail is meaningless. We should fight it for the sake of the trees, but it would be better if we could focus solely our efforts towards helping the hungry and homeless.

It's no wonder we're having a financial crisis. A catalog of credit rules and offers are sent to us more often than we can respond.