Thursday, October 30, 2008

Deluge of Thoughts Precipitates Writing Drought

I haven't been a great blogger as of late and I think it's due to having too much on my mind.

For one, I'm concerned with the long-term outcome of this year's presidential election. Will it be President McCain or President Obama? Does either one truly have our best interests in mind and the ability to mobilize the deeply divided American citizenry to achieve those best interests? With such a deeply divided citizenry do we even know what our best interests are? Are our differences about what constitutes our best interests the source of our division? Are our differences so great, so insurmountable that the ideal of a united America is a myth of a bygone era? What of "united we stand, divided we fall?"

I'm also concerned about the passage of Proposition 8 in California and what the outcome of this issue will mean for the other States. I do not think it wise to redefine the traditional concept of marriage: that marriage is between a man and a woman. I believe that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, that ideally children are raised by a loving father and mother, that the family is the most fundamental, foundational unit of a healthy society.

I'm concerned that my religious beliefs may cause some to brand me as a bigot. I am not a bigot. I have never resorted to violence to attempt to force others to believe as I do. I have never promoted or condoned any acts of violence toward any person with differing views. What is it exactly about my beliefs that would make me a bigot?

I'm concerned at the development of a "tyranny of tolerance"; that tolerance toward religion and faith in God and those who espouse them is diminishing, while various groups demand tolerance for their particular viewpoints. Such unidirectional tolerance is in actuality intolerance. This concerns me.

I have other concerns too, but maybe I should save them for another post so that I'll have material to help end this writing drought.

1 comment:

Whitney Hardie said...

Good post. I share all of those feelings. I always appreciate educated, articulate people who help me continually consider the puzzles I sometimes let grow dusty in the back of my mind.