Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On Dishes

I'm not a big fan of having to do the dishes by hand. Though doing so does free the mind to think about things.

So as I was doing the dishes today I remembered that in Old Samoa the people used very few dishes in their food preparation. They mostly used sticks and leaves and rocks and fire to do their cooking, all of which nature, or a little muscle, provided.

I couldn't begin to count the number of banana-leaf dinner plates I used when I was in Samoa. Clean up was a breeze!

I thought I'd give you a taste for what dinner preparation might be like for many of the meals we ate in Samoa. The amount of work that goes into a nice traditional meal is one reason why Samoan men and boys are quite muscular. I suppose that makes up for not having many dishes to wash.


1 comment:

James said...

I remember you could tell when they had cleaned the cups (once a week?) because they tasted like soap. Good times.