Monday, January 12, 2009

Things Will Always Get Better if We Live and Love the Gospel

The world these days is a pretty wild place to live in. But speak with any octogenarian, or read a history book, and you'll realize that it's been that way for a very long time.

That's why I particularly liked the optimistic perspective in the following statement by Howard W. Hunter, fourteenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's proof positive that the Lord's prophets are not all about doom and gloom.

"In my lifetime I have seen two world wars plus Korea plus Vietnam and all that you are currently witnessing. I have worked my way through the depression and managed to go to law school while starting a young family at the same time. I have seen stock markets and world economies go crazy and have seen a few despots and tyrants go crazy, all of which causes quite a bit of trouble around the world in the process.

"So I am frank to say tonight that I hope you won't believe all the world's difficulties have been wedged into your decade or that things have never been worse than they are for you personally, or that they will never get better. I reassure you that things have been worse and they will always get better. They always do—especially when we live and love the gospel of Jesus Christ and give it a chance in our lives."

(Howard W. Hunter, The Teachings of Howard W. Hunter, edited by Clyde J. Williams [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1997], 202.)

2 comments:

Whitney Hardie said...

I thought this was very inspiring and I think it goes well with what Elder Holland had to say in devotional yesterday.

People really should stop being so pessimistic about today.

Nate said...

I agree, Whitney. Elder Holland's devotional speech was probably one of the best I've ever heard in my time at BYU.

For a synopsis go here.