Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Great Day!

Yesterday I formally defended my thesis. A total of eight people showed up to watch the show: my loving wife, Deb, the three professors on my committee, another professor I've worked with on some research, and three of my fellow students.

It was a smashing success, made the more so because I brought some suafa'i, or banana soup, which I've blogged about previously. Try it out. My committee congratulated me on my defense but didn't ask for more. They did, however, all ask for the recipe for suafa'i. The moral of the story? A good bowl of banana soup trumps a boring thesis. Anytime.

But passing (with revisions) my thesis defense wasn't the best part of the day. Not by a long shot, though it was an important segue to what came after: a letter from the University of Hawaii.

"I am pleased to inform you that you have been admitted for the Fall 2009 semester to the Nutrition-PhD program," the letter read. I won't know, however, until May 1st whether I've been selected to be a TA in the undergraduate nutrition classes. Without that funding life in Hawaii would be prohibitively expensive. Please pray for Deb and me that things work out.

10 comments:

tpmotd said...

HOORAY NATE!

Nate said...

Thanks, Steve, for this comment and the Easter wishes on my last post. Can't wait to see you THREE later this summer.

Rachel said...

Yay!! Congratulations!!!

Nate said...

Thanks, Rachel.

Rick said...

Grats Nate! I am really glad to hear about the defense as well as the acceptance letter. Also know that it is quite possible to live in Hawaii on very, very, very little money. Heck just ask most Hawaiians. Just plan on getting a bike or moped to commute and don't live in Honolulu.

(Yes you will get wet during the commute)

Katie said...

Way to go Nate! You two are in my prayers. Things are going to work out great.

sans auto said...

Congratulations, congratulations and how do you make banana soup? I guess I'll have to find the recipe in the previous blog.

Nate said...

6 very ripe bananas
1 qt. water
1/3 pkg. tapioca (8 oz. box)
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar

Break the bananas into small pieces and place into a large kettle with the water. Cook the banana-water mixture at a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend the mixture with a hand-held blender until fairly smooth. Mix in the tapioca slowly and evenly so as to avoid lumps and clumps of rubbery goo. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Take off heat and stir in coconut milk and sugar. Tausami loa!--Eat!

MBlack said...

Huzzah. [: I hope it all works VERY! well my dear.

Jenene said...

Sooo very proud of you. Looking forward to having you visit.Congrads.Grandma & Grandpa P