Monday, April 20, 2009

Healthy Snakes May Prevent Childhood Obesity

We're in the process of moving, which means going through all our belongings and stuff, sorting through it all, and deciding which to keep and which to toss. There's something satisfying about an occasional good, thorough purging.

For the past three years I've been an instructor in various university classes, from the undergraduate exercise physiology lab to weight lifting to water aerobics. Working with students has been a lot of fun, it's part of the reason I'm going on in my own education--so I can keep on teaching.

Occasionally, students would turn in assignments that they wrote on the fly and it was clear that they weren't too careful about what they wrote. Most times the resulting errors were pretty funny. I wish I would have saved them all and compiled them for future laughs. Unfortunately, such foresight usually escapes me.

Here is the choicest gem of them all, one I managed to keep around. Deb and I frequently refer back to it. Writing about physical fitness in school-aged children, one student wrote, "The best way to fight off obesity in your children is to have only healthy snakes and diets in your home." (Emphasis mine)

I suppose if your children are terrified of any kind of snake, especially healthy ones, having one in the home might increase their daily physical activity levels as they run from room to room whilst pursued by said healthy snake.

I have no doubts that healthy snake-induced increases in physical activity coupled with a healthful diet will prove beneficial in fighting the onset of childhood obesity. But always consult with your children's pediatrician before implementing a healthy snake-based physical activity program in your home.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds good to me. I think I might just try the "snake diet." It could be fun.

Joelhead said...

I heard putting a snake in the cookie jar works wonders!!

Thanks for the laugh Nate!

MBlack said...

I don't know.... In the The Temple Of Doom most of those guys were fat.... The only one there who wasn't was Indy and the little dude.... :D

sans auto said...

My favorites always involved the word 'assess'. It's a double s at the end.
I also liked the confusion caused by pedal, peddle and petal; it was amazing the responses I received about flowers and commerce after a cycling lab.

At CSU we had a wall of shame where we posted the worst responses we received. I wish I had kept some of them.

Congratulations on Hawaii, enjoy!

Karen and Merrill said...

This is hilarious. I think we'll definitely have to have our future children on the "healthy snake" diet.