I ride TheBus to and from school each day. It's a pretty good system, albeit a very crowded one. When I do get a seat, I try and make use of the time by reading.
Monday started out no different from any other day. I got on the first of the two buses I ride to school, found an open seat on the very back bench, and began reading through a paper I'm trying to write with nine other classmates (don't try that, by the way).
The man I was sitting next to was a friendly fellow. He spoke a lot to me, very enthusiastically, asking me where I was from and how long I'd been on island. He said a lot more but I could hardly understand a word of it. We didn't chat long because his stop was well before mine.
Just a couple of stops before mine, the girl on the same back bench as me suddenly threw up! I instantly felt bad for her but also had thoughts of H1N1 running through my head. I tried not to make a scene as I packed up to get off at my stop. Before exiting, though, I informed the driver of the situation, hoping that the girl's day would get better.
When I stood up from my seat, however, I was shocked to notice something cool on the seat of my pants. I felt behind me and realized that my pants were completely soaked through with who knows what liquidy substance!
It took all the fortitude I had to keep from freaking out as I walked to the front of the bus to talk with the driver about the girl who had thrown up in the back of the bus. I didn't know if I'd sat in water, or soda pop, or urine. All I knew was that I was half-way along my hour-long trip to school and I had to turn back to change out of my soaked shorts.
After I got home and cleaned up and made it to school the rest of the day went just fine. Ever since then, however, I've been a little more leery of sitting in the seats on TheBus.