Friday, March 5, 2010

Toward the Building of a Better World

I haven't blogged much lately, mainly because I'm busy with school and life in general. But I'm reading good things and thought I'd share a thought with you from something I'm reading.

As a student of science, naturally I enjoy reading the writings of scientists. Most of that which I read, however, is in the form of textbooks and journal articles. Both are interesting and necessary in my development as a scientist, but at the same time it's refreshing to occasionally read a work written by a scientist who is able to step away from the nitty-gritty technical aspects of his or her field and talk about the big picture--the so-called "grand scheme of things"--and do so in a manner that inspires the human soul.

Henry Eyring was just such a scientist, and is the source of today's thought:

In times of uncertainty, such as the present, the increasing effort to understand man's place in the grand scheme of things proceeds at an accelerated pace. That understanding is a problem not alone for the laboratory; many of its answers will be found in the realm of the spiritual. It is important that all men of good will use their energies, their talents and their learning in their chosen fields, mutually assisting one another toward the building of a better world--that world which men of faith in all ages have envisioned and toward which they have labored.

Henry Eyring. The Faith of a Scientist. Bookcraft, 1969, pg. 3.

4 comments:

Deb said...

It is unfortunate that the matters of science and the matters of spirituality are so often considered polar opposites, the one based on 'fact' and the other on 'faith.' If only we could open our minds and recognize that it is through revelation that we are able to discover anything.

Katie said...

Amen. I just hope, as an aspiring scientist, that I can live up to this advice.

Nate said...

So do I, Katie, so do I. In fact, if I was even one-quarter the scientist that Henry Eyring was, I'd still have a very successful career.

Karen and Merrill said...

Isn't it awesome that we have such amazing people to look up to, like Henry B. Eyring. I love our leaders!