Saturday, October 1, 2011

New Provo Temple

I was greatly saddened when the Provo tabernacle burned down. It was a beautiful example of Mormon Pioneer architecture, where as a student of nearby Brigham Young University I attended a number of church conferences. It was also on the grounds of the Provo tabernacle that I proposed marriage to my sweetheart Deb. Between spirit-filled conferences and our engagement, the Provo tabernacle and it's grounds were already hallowed.

I've watched the news with much interest to see if the building could be salvaged and returned to its former glory. When I read (here and here) that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had purchased additional land surrounding the tabernacle, I thought that perhaps a multi-stake center like the one going up just a few blocks north east was going to be built to replace the tabernacle.

Imagine my joy when I heard this morning that the Provo tabernacle will be restored to become a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where men, women and youth will go to worship God and draw closer together as families. I hope to go there someday with Deb for a visit.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I too was SO happy when I heard the news! What a perfect outcome for what used to be a tragic loss.