Sunday, October 20, 2013

"Treasure Up in Your Minds Continually the Words of Life"


I love the scriptures. I find great comfort as I study the word of God as contained in the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price, known to Mormons as the standard works. Two years ago, Elder Richard G. Scott, an Apostle, gave a talk in our semi-annual general conference about the power of scripture. He said,
"Learning, pondering, searching, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world.
"Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change."
Since high school I have tried to regularly study the scriptures, with varying degrees of success, and I have been greatly blessed for my efforts. But I have always struggled with memorizing verses of scripture, mainly because I have never systematically set out to do so.

That is, until now. Recently, my wife shared an old friend's blog post about how she memorizes scriptures. Her approach is so simple, and yet seemingly so effective, that we--my wife and I--have implemented it and already seen success. If you're like me and struggle to organize yourself enough to memorize scriptures, or anything for that matter, try out this simple method. You may be surprised at how well it works.

No comments: